Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Favorite Holiday Songs

I have to admit, its not easy to get in the Holiday spirit right now. I'm not sure if its because of exams, a lack of decorations in my apartment, 80-degree weather or what, but it's just not hitting me. Still, I need a little Christmas, right this very minute, so I've put together a list of some of my favorite Christmas or wintry songs. Maybe they'll do the job even if school and the weather don't seem to be cooperating.

A Christmas Carol- This is probably the most obscure song of the list. Apparently, it’s from a musical telling of Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” called “Scrooge: The Musical” which I haven’t seen. It’ a beautiful and elegant fanfare for the Holiday season.

Christmas/ Sarajevo 12/24- Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s instrumental rock interpretation of “Carol of the Bells” and “Good Rest Ye Merry Gentleman”. This is undoubtedly the most intense-sounding song on the list, but a powerful modern rendition of two classic carols.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas- This one might be my absolute favorite. Written for the MGM musical Meet Me In St. Louis, it seems to be optimistic and melancholy all at the same time. Lyrically there are a few versions of it, but I prefer the original lyrics used in the film. They’re a little sadder than the new “traditional” version, but very beautiful

I’ll Be Home For Christmas- Another slightly melancholy Christmas song, I always seem to hear this one as beautiful and romantic. The song was written during World War II when many soldiers could be home for Christmas only in their dreams, and somehow I always get this picture whenever I hear it.

Jingle Bells- It’s a simple and fun little song, but undeniably a Christmas classic, even though there’s no mention of the holiday at all in its lyrics. My favorite version has to be the 1943 version by Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters with its swing/ boogie-woogie vibe.

Joy To The World- A fantastic proclamation of Christ’s coming, the joy and wonder of it, and how amazing Jesus it. It’s beautiful in a classic choir-style arrangement, but I do have to confess I really do like Jump5’s pop version of this that mixes in some of “Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee” in it too.

My Grown Up Christmas List- My favorite of all the “modern” Christmas songs. I’ve always connected with this lyrically and as the years go by the connection seems to grow more and more. As far as favorite version, I’d have to go with Kelly Clarkson’s.

Silent Night- Beautiful, peaceful, and reflective, this paints such a wonderful picture of the birth of Christ. It’s such the opposite of how one would expect a Savior to come- quietly as a baby in the most unlikely place.

Sleigh Ride- Another fun wintery song. I have to say that original the instrumental orchestration of this is probably my favorite version- so upbeat and just so classic- but I do have to say that Harry Conick Jr.’s jazzy swing version of it isn’t too far behind

1 comment:

Robin said...

Clay Aiken has the best Christmas album!!! Oh Holy Night is prolly my favorite Christmas song, and his version is THE best one around!! I'm gonna listen to it now, in fact!! LOL :)