Monday, March 2, 2009

Running Like A Railroad

In one of my classes, we were studying the railroads in America and the impact it had on our culture. I look around at our lives today and still see the impact. We seem to run our lives as if they were railroads. So many lives are on tight schedules that simply cannot be deviated from. There's no time to pause, no time for spontaneity and no time to be able to focus on things that should be focused on. Even in the times like retreats or conferences in which we say we step back, drop our schedules and try to focus on the important things, we get a new schedule in which even "free times" are scheduled. We get "program poisoning". I'm so tired or this! I wish that our lives weren't so scheduled. Why can't we value in spontaneity and freedom? Unfortunately, we just don't have time for it. Thanks, railroads.

No comments: