It's amazing to think how technology has changed the way we communicate. Just look at Facebook- now making your rational or irrational political statement to all of your closest friends, acquaintances, former classmates and those friends-of-friends-of-friends you met once at Applebees three years ago. Of course many of those who have supported Obama are thrilled, but on the other hand McCain supporters aren't being such gracious losers (for the most part, I've seen a few very classy Republican responses too). Let's take a brief look at so many of the statements that keep popping up from a number of different McCain supporters. (NOTE: These are nobody in particular's statuses. They are only summaries of the many statuses I've seen.)
"Obama won, I'm moving to Canada!" - I know this is most likely attempts to be funny, but I don't think that if you supported McCain that you'd really like Canada. They already have socialized health care and gay marriage, you know.
"I'm saying goodbye to all my money. Obama's going to take it all away! Socialism is coming!"- First of all, if you read Obama's proposed plan, you would see that it's really going to greatly affect people who are very rich and could afford a little extra taxing. You won't become penniless because of Obama. Second of all, when did spreading the wealth become such a horrible thing? It astonishes me!
"I can't believe America voted an evil baby-killer as president!"- Obama's stance on abortion is pro-choice. While I don't personally agree with his position, I really don't think the president has the power to single-handily overturn Roe V. Wade. If he did, I 100% believe that Bush would have done it already. Realistically, McCain in office would likely not change anything either.
"We should all pray for our country right now- it will need it!"- I really don't like how this reads. To me, it says "Obama is going to be president, the country is going down the toilet, God help us!" Of course, we should always pray for our leaders, but this reads as if the combination of Pharaoh, Nebuchadnezzar and Herod has taken power to oppress the people of God and we must cry out to the Lord for salvation from him.
"Obama may be president, but at least Amendment 2 passed!"- At least McCain supporters can reveal in a victory, but it's extremely insensitive to publicly celebrate a victory that prevents people- gay and straight- from rights that married people do. Perhaps you see it as a "moral victory", but it's also a delicate subject for a lot of people, so I would recommend not rubbing it in others faces.
I could go on, but you get the idea. I don't say any of this to judge any of McCain's supporters, but only to give my feelings in response to the things which are being said. Hopefully all this will die down soon and we will be able to unite as a country as we need to in these times. If it doesn't die down soon, I think I might be on Facebook a lot less until it does.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I like your writing style, Gus! And thanks for the welcome.
Post a Comment